2.25 Gallons of water
- 5 pounds honey
- 1 oz cascade - dry hop
- 1 oz Fuggle - last 15 mins
- 1 oz Kent Golding - full boil
- 1 pack safeale s-04
- 3/4 cup Corn Sugar
- In a large brew pot, boil 2.25 gallons of water.
- With the pot removed from the burner, add 2.5 lbs honey. Make sure to stir the water so the honey dissolves completely and doesn’t burn on the botttom of the pot. When the honey fully dissolved, return the pot to the burner.
- As the liquid starts boiling again, add 1 0z Kent Golding pellet hops and boil 60 minutes.
- After 30 minutes add ½ oz Fuggle hops, After 15 more minutes add remaining ½ oz Fuggle hops. (it helps to contain the hops in individual muslin bags)
- At the end of the boil, remove the pot from the burner and let cool to about 90 degrees fahrenheit. Dissolve the remaining honey
- Add the must to a 3 gallon primary fermenter, aerate, and pitch the yeast.
- Seal fermentor with airlock and store in a dark place at a temperature of about 70 degrees.
- After 2 weeks, with a siphon, re-rack the mead into a sanitized 3 gallon carboy.
- Add the cascade hops in a muslin bag to the secondary.
- After 2 weeks, re-rack, then let age for 4 months.
- Dissolve the corn sugar in 1 cup warm water and add to carboy.
- Fill sanitized bottles and let age for at least 2 months.
- Serve chilled in a tulip glass, and Enjoy with friends!
BJCP Category: 26 A - Metheglin
First Brewed (Date): January, 2014